Wednesday, March 25, 2020

A chat with Finn Bartusiak, from Port New






Finn Bartusiak is a character created by Kristine Raymond

Good day, everyone! Tonight we're interviewing Finn Bartusiak, who brings us an awesome mystery. Tell us, Finn, did you choose to become a detective? Or didn’t you have a choice?
First, I’d just like to say, welcome to my home.  It’s an honor having you here.  You remind me a little of my Grandma Lena.  Do you like to cook?  Grandma Lena loves to cook, to which my figure can attest.  I think there’s some leftover pierogi in the fridge.  It won’t take a minute for me to heat it up.  No?  Well, if you change your mind, let me know.  Her pierogi is to die for!
What’s that? Someone told you I’m a detective?  I’m afraid you’ve been misled.  I’m just a simple antique store owner.  As a matter of fact, that Tiffany lamp you’re eyeing is my latest acquisition.  Don’t you love the way the colors catch the light? One of the perks of my job is having first dibs on the inventory.  And I…
What?  Oh, sorry.  I tend to ramble when talking about antiques.  To answer your question, no, I don’t consider myself a detective, per se, although I did decipher that secret code awhile back which led me to… Garfunkel, stop begging.  You ate an hour ago.
My apologies.  He’s always ready for his next meal.  Yes, he is a Basset hound.  What’s that?  Oh, his baldness.  It’s a congenital condition, but he pulls it off, don’t you think?
So much information! I'm glad I remind you of your granny, though I'm not that great of a
cook myself. Tell us, Finn, what’s your daytime occupation? How does it relate to your investigations?
Right, my occupation.  Well, as I was saying, I’m the owner of Finn’s Finds, that cute, little antique store near the beach.  Yes, that’s the one.  A couple of doors down from Dough Knots.  Have you ever visited?  I’d like to think I’d remember all of my customers but the sad fact is, I don’t.  When we’re finished up here maybe you’d like to pop in and take a look around.  Something might catch your eye.  The shop is normally closed on Wednesdays, but I could ope-
Oh, right, sorry.  I'm rambling.  You’re on a schedule, aren’t you?
Well, when a new item comes into the shop, I do a little digging and trace its ownership back as far as I can.  Most of my customers appreciate the effort and enjoy learning the history of the piece they purchase, so I guess, in that sense, I am a detective.  Huh.  Who woulda’ thought?
I see being a detective more as a state of mind than a profession. Would you consider opening one and going pro?
I’m not sure that solving one case qualifies me as a gumshoe though the idea does hold a certain appeal.  On the other hand, after what happened in the cemetery that night, I’m not sure my heart – or any of my other organs and appendages – could handle the danger.  I mean, two hospital stays in the span of two weeks might be a great way to meet my deductible, but the fashions leave a lot to be desired, you know?
How do you deal with the authorities while doing your investigation?
Sorry for laughing.  You see, Port New’s head detective, Zara O’Hara, just happens to be my best friend, and her partner, Duley Beaudry considers me the sister he never had, even though he has two.  So, I tend to get the ‘inside scoop’ on the criminal happenings in town.  Though, come to think of it, they’ve both been kinda tight-lipped around me lately, ever since the secret code fiasco.  In fact, I had to find out about the break-in at Darby’s in the crime beat section of The Port New News. 
Why, those two have been holding out on me!  Just wait until girls’ night!  Zara’s gonna get an earful!
Do you have anyone helping you in your investigations? Tell us more about them.
To give credit where credit is due, I wouldn’t be sitting here talking with you today if it hadn’t been for Garfunkel.  He surprised the heck out of everyone who knows him when he… no, it’s not time for a Fido Bar.  Go take a nap while I visit with Grandma Bertha.  And, stop slobbering on me!
Sorry about that.  He gets enthusiastic when he hears his name.
Back to your question.  Besides Garfunkel, Spencer also lent a hand.  He helped crack the code and he called Zara when…would you like to see a picture?  Why, thank you, I agree; he is quite attractive.  Are you a reader?  The reason I ask is you may recognize him from one of his book jackets.  Yes, that’s right; Spencer Dane.  How many people can say their boyfriend is a best-selling author?

Oh, gosh, I love Spencer Dane! I would never imagine he was your boyfriend. But this is that crucial time in our interview. Tell me one thing about yourself you wouldn't want others to know.
Is our time up already?  Boy, that hour flew!
Hmmm…something about me no one else knows.
When I was seven, I wanted to play with the class gerbil so I let it out of its cage while everyone was at recess.  It slipped under the door and disappeared behind the lockers – hmmm…so, that’s why the exterminator showed up at school the following day.  Anyway, I blamed Gerber’s escape on Monty Halloran and he had to stay after school every afternoon for the rest of the month.  In my defense, he was a bully back then, always pulling my hair and calling me names.
You’re not going to print this in the article, are you?
I make no promises!
______________________________

It wasn’t until later in life that Kristine Raymond figured out what she wanted to be when she grew up, an epiphany that occurred in 2013 when she sat down and began writing her first novel.  Sixteen books in multiple genres later, she’s added the title of podcasting host to her resume, thus assuring that she will never be idle.

When a spare moment does present itself, she fills it by navigating the publishing and promotional side of the business.  When not doing that, she spends time with her husband and furbabies (not necessarily in that order) at their home in south-central Kentucky, reads, or binge-watches Netflix. 

To find out more about Kristine, please visit her website at www.kristineraymond.com and follow her on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and BookBub. 

And for links to podcast episodes, guest posts, and other great stuff, check out Word Play with Kristine Raymond at www.wordplaypodcast.com.
x

No comments:

Post a Comment