Thursday, July 2, 2020

A Chat from Ella Shane, the Opera Singer Sleuth!



Ella Shane is a character created by Kathleen Marple Kalb


Greetings, guys and gals! Grandma Bertha here again! I'm back today with a new interview with the lovely Ella Shane. And what a character she is! Welcome to my blog, Ella, it's a great pleasure.

Delighted to meet you, Grandma Bertha, if I may call you that! Bertha is such a lovely name.

Thanks! My full name is Albertha Isobel Hepburn, but I love when people call me Grandma Bertha. Tell us, Ella, What’s your daytime occupation? How does it relate to your investigations?

Thank you for asking! I’m a mezzo-soprano, and I specialize in what are called “trouser roles,” male heroes sung by women, like Romeo. Between running a traveling opera company with my adored cousin Tommy Hurley, keeping my vocal and fencing skills sharp, and singing at benefits whenever I can, detecting was the last thing I wanted to do. Unfortunately, one night onstage, my Juliet drank real poison and died, and her cousin, who turned out to be a British Duke (of course he did!) asked my help finding out what happened. She was my employee and I felt responsible for her, and the poor man was clearly grieving…as well as rather appealing once I schooled him in how to treat a lady and an artist (with a little fencing match). So of course I helped him.

Did you know I used the story of Romeo and Juliet to solve a case? It's in The Homicide Magnet. Now tell us, why were you the ideal person to solve that case? 

As a fellow singer, I understood the young lady’s life better than anyone outside our world. Certainly better than the Duke, who seemed to think that singing was some dainty girlish accomplishment for the drawing room. I know how hard she had to work on her technique, and to maintain her instrument, and the challenge of finding roles suited to her voice and skills. Not to mention how incredibly difficult it is to launch a career. And the many dangers we face as traveling artists. But also, how incredibly fulfilling it is to sing well, know you are pleasing and moving an audience…then hear that moment of silence before the applause that only happens for an extraordinary performance.

Life in the theater sounds so exciting! Do you have anyone helping you in your investigations? Tell us more about them. 

The Washington Square townhouse I share with my cousin Tommy Hurley is almost never quiet…and if one of us is involved in something, we all are. Tommy, a former boxing champion, left the ring to manage my career, but he maintains strong friendships with several sportswriters, including noted columnist Preston Dare, who is a dear informal uncle to us both. Tommy’s best friend, Father Michael Riley, is also often about, playing checkers and arguing with Toms. For my part, I have two very close female friends, Hetty MacNaughten, one of two women reporters on the Beacon, and my fellow velocipede fancier, and soprano Marie de l’Artois, who is married with three small adorable children I enjoy visiting – and handing back to their mama.

How do you deal with the authorities while doing your investigation? 

As it happens, the authorities are part of the extended family too. Like so many Irish folk in New York, we have connections in the Police Department. Father Michael’s cousin is a detective, and Cousin Andrew the Detective, as he is known to us all, has been known to help us out occasionally. (We’ve also been known to help him out in his courtship with the lovely Miss Katie McTeer, but you won’t meet her until our next adventure.)

Being an amateur sleuth is tons of fun, but from my experience, there's always a time when things become harsh. What was the most difficult period in your investigation, and how did you deal with it? 

Aside from a rather depressing rainy day when a society matron did her worst to make me feel unworthy (and Tommy quickly reminded me what utter nonsense THAT was), I would have to say my final confrontation with the killer. Without going into too much detail, let’s just say that I found myself dueling this unpleasant person on a catwalk high above the stage. I was, naturally, equal to the task, but it was rather unnerving. I was quite glad for a medicinal sherry afterwards.

Now, to wrap this lovely interview, tell me one thing about yourself you wouldn't want others to know. 

I feel quite safe telling you this, since you are a grandmother and remind me just a bit of my dear Aunt Ellen.  When I hold Marie’s children, I sometimes wonder if I might want one of my own. And there was a moment in this recent adventure when I saw the Duke with a little boy, and suddenly there were all of these strange and unfamiliar feelings swirling about. It’s at least possible that I may want a husband and children someday. Not just any husband…but if the Duke continues to show respect for me and my career, and perhaps improves his fencing a bit, he might be worth a look.

Life is full of surprises, sweetie, and I'm sure you'll make a great mum someday. Don't forget to send me some tickets for your next performance!

__________________________________________

Kathleen Marple Kalb

1 comment:

  1. This interview is a great idea! Sent me off to find your book. :)

    ReplyDelete