Thursday, July 9, 2020

A chat with Mona Moon: A classy detective!


Mona Moon is a character created by Abigail Keam


Hello, guys and gals! Grandma Bertha here. Our guest today is Mona Moon, one of the most interesting people I"ve ever interviewed for this blog. What’s your daytime occupation?  

I am Madeline Mona Moon and head of Mooncrest Enterprises, which specializes in copper and other mining concerns. It is a family-owned business left to me by my uncle, Manfred Michael Moon. That's when I began sleuthing. I never believed his death was due to pneumonia. It turns out I was right.  He was murdered by the housekeeper. Before my inheritance, I made my living by being a cartographer.  I made maps.

That makes you the first cartographer I've ever interviewed! Tell us, Mona, how do you deal with the authorities while doing your investigation?  

I avoid them as much as possible but that is not easy. I have to be careful around them as I am sometimes a target of their distrust. I am a woman owning a masculine business in 1933. There are many tongues in the community wagging saying that I'm going against God's feminine plan for me. I should get married and have children. Settle down. Let my husband run the business. Oh, how dreary. I have my wits about me and a gun in my purse.  They both serve me well.

With that answer, I think you just became my personal hero! What made you think you could solve a case?  

I didn't really think about it. I just followed one clue after another until I reached a conclusion.  Of course, my next-door neighbor, Lord Farley, was quite of bit of help. When I first came to Lexington, Kentucky he introduced me to all of the "swells" who didn't take to me at first. There are three things of importance to people in Lexington-bourbon, horse breeding, and horse racing.  And, of course, money.  I had the money but came up short with the bourbon and the horses. By the way, Lord Farley's full name is Lawrence Robert Emerton Dagobert Farley, Marquess of Gower. He owns the Thoroughbred farm next to Moon Manor, my home. We are currently engaged.

Are you a fan of crime novels? What are your favorites?  


Now you're talking my language, Miss Bertha.  I read all the time.  I love anything by Dashiell Hammett, especially The Maltese Falcon, and I've read The Thin Man so many times I've broken the spine. I love hard-boiled detective stories. Dorothy L Sayers is a British mystery writer that I'm fond of, but my favorite writer is James M. Cain.  I hear he is going to publish The Postman Always Rings Twice next year.  I can't wait and bought an advanced copy.  When it comes out, I'll be one of the first to read it. Have you read anything by Cain or Hammett?  I hear they are going to make Hammett's The Thin Man into a movie. I wonder who is going to play the lead role?

I love everything Hammett writes. My favorite is The Glass Key. I could tell you a lot about that movie from the timeframe I'm in, but I'll let you find out by yourself. Now tell us, what do you know about the psychology of a criminal?

I know a skunk when I smell one.

Give them hell, Mona! Thank you, my readers, and don't forget to check Mona's adventures. See you all soon!



___________________________________________________________


Award-winning author Abigail Keam writes the Mona Moon Mystery Series--a rags-to-riches 1930s mystery series which includes real people and events into the story line.

Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Abigail-Keam/e/B0045PEGUQ

AWARDS
2010 Gold Medal Award from Readers’ Favorite for Death By A HoneyBee
2011 Gold Medal Award from Readers' Favorite for Death By Drowning
2011 USA BOOK NEWS-Best Books List of 2011 as a Finalist for Death By Drowning
2011 USA BOOK NEWS-Best Books List of 2011 as a Finalist for Death By A HoneyBee
2017 Finalist from Readers’ Favorite for Death By Design
2019 Honorable Mention from Readers’ Favorite for Death By Stalking
2019 Top 10 Mystery Novels from Kings River Life Magazine for Murder Under A Blue Moon

No comments:

Post a Comment